Friday 20 May 2011

Beer or Rent

After I had spent too much money on expensive beer in campus, someone(can't remember who) introduced me to cheap beer. This is the tax free beer that is sold in Military Messes common known as AFCO beer. If I was on my third bottle I could define AFCO but now I need this piece of the brain to finish this blog post.

I later came to realize that there were many AFCOs around town. One was however full of university students and young guys who were employed but did not get enough to finance a full blown drinking spree. Not that people who drink at AFCO are poor. They are just good in personal financial management (probably better that you). I will not give names of places for obvious reasons but my first few visits at AFCO already told my mind that I was hooked to the place. I could buy enough beers to get me high with only 300 bob.

It was AFCO that I meant with the real DDOs' (daily drinking officers). These were people whose lives revolved around work and the pub. Whenever they were not sleeping or working, they were boozing.

One day when we were busy falling the brown bottles standing in the crate, an officer opened up and started saying he had problems with the landlord and the story went on and on. I later realized that since AFCO does not sell beer on credit, the officers always made sure that they had money for beer. This even meant avoiding paying rent.

Now that there is sincere love for beer. There are also times that I and a couple of my friends have paid rent late after drinking part of the salary before paying rent. These are not times that I would like to remember.

I think that beer was meant for enjoyment and although it is food and classified under a sot's basic needs, shelter is also a basic need and priority rules that shelter should be sorted first. I don't think a respectable beer drinker should sleep outside due to rent issues.
Is this where you would want to go home after having enough beers?

If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim.  ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. 


On this note, all of you that think I am an alcoholic or a beer addict. I am not!


As Always,

Yours Truly,
Rafiki Mlevi

No comments:

Post a Comment