Wednesday 18 May 2011

Don't Drink and Drive.

 Love your Car as You Love Your Car. This is the latest addition to the Beer Commandments.

When people are headed for the bar, they do not anticipate any accidents. If there was an accident machine stopper, I would be the first to buy it.

However, every Monday when I go to the garage, I see at least 100 cars that had accidents over the weekend and most of the owners confess to drunk driving.  This is only in Nairobi. What of the rest of the country and world?

On June 13th, we were watching world cup match at a pub in town then I went to drop my friends in some town suburb. I had drunk 5 beers and those are enough to get me drunk on a normal day but I can drive home. Just after dropping my friends, I was called by another buddy who was having a birthday party in town. So instead of driving home, I drove to town again. I drunk 4 more beers after chewing on a few pieces of meat. The mistake I did was to forget that I had already drunk 5 beers. I drunk like the latter 4 beers like they were my first beers that day. I managed to stagger to the car but what happened on my way out of town can only be explained by the photo below.
 I am glad I got out of this mess alive. I did not stop drinking beer but I learned a lesson. Do not drink and drive.
But that is just me.

I came across an interesting blog that says that God is against drunk drivers. But again I thought, the pastor in this blog is arguably right and wrong at the same time. It is the same God who gives people good jobs in breweries and the list of good things that come from beer is endless.

There are many other accidents that have left people in critical conditions.
As much as we are not stopping drinking beer even if the time is up and the lights are off, we should not drive when drunk. It risks our lives and those of others.

The media has been campaigning against drunk driving like in This case. The celebrities have not been left behind and they too had a campaign called Si Lazima. If we do not listen, we will have our lives to lose and this Tribute will start making sense to us too.

There was a time that car wrecks were put up at strategic places like Muthaiga round about and the Museum Hill Roundabout. These did not stay for long since both roads were expanded almost a couple of months after they were placed there. But they were good reminders that even us beer lovers have a life to live after we walk out of the bar. The wreck that was at muthaiga round about is shown below:
Take note of the message next to the wreck (The driver of this car had one too. He never got home for X-mas).
Hic! Just like we take beer in the pub away from our children, (sipping a vodka to punctuate my strong message) Let us get designated drivers and avoid driving when we are high.
Let us all decide.
No Drinking and Driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment